[09 JAN 01]
CRIMES, FIRES & ACCIDENTS
Die As Fire Safety Warnings Ignored
officers are urging people to make sure they have smoke alarms
that work after two bodies were found following separate house
fires in Coventry.
body of a 28-year-old man was discovered in a house in Blackshore
Drive in Woodway Park at 11am yesterday after a landlord let
himself into a house.
found the badly burned body and traces of a fire, which had put
itself out. The fire had been caused by a chip pan and the battery
of a smoke alarm had been moved so the alarm was not working
that day firefighters were called to a house in Allesley Old Road
in Allesley after neighbours saw smoke coming out of the back of a
had to break in to get to the fire and discovered the body of an
elderly woman in the rear living room.
Midlands Fire Service spokesman Ian McWilliam said the house was
sealed by double glazing, and there had been a risk that the heat
could have built up into an explosion once air was let into the
was a very severe fire that had died down to a certain degree.
With opening the house up there was a risk of an explosion, but
steps were taken to avoid that.”
added that the lady had been well-cared for by professional carers
and her family, but no-one had thought to install a smoke alarm.
implications are that the message about fire safety hasn’t got
through to [professional people. The old lady was a smoker and
there where signs in the house that fire was not taken as a
should have thought to install a smoke alarm. It could have
given us five minutes more to get there, and that could have
city shouldn’t lose two of its citizens in one day to fire. If
they had smoke alarms working, both these people would be alive
urge everyone to make sure that their elderly relatives have got
smoke alarms that work as it could save their lives.”