[29 MAR 01]
CRIMES, FIRES & ACCIDENTS
Gas Leak Brings
Chaos To City Centre
of a busy road in Coventry city centre were sealed off when a gas
leak was caused by workers re-building the Lower Precinct.
workers were called into Corporation Street at 2.45pm yesterday
after people in the area smelled gas.
18-inch main was rupture when workers accidentally drilled through
of office workers were evacuated from nearby offices.
of the street were closed as a safety precaution, and to give the
Transco workers a chance to tackle the problem.
restrictions remained in place until 9am this morning when the
repair work was finally finished.