CWN - News & Information for Coventry & Warwickshire 20x21spacer.gif (59 bytes)What's New?Search CWN
HISTORICAL PLACES
St Mary's Hall, Coventry

St Mary's Hall in the centre of Coventry was first built between 1340 and 1342 for the merchant gild of St Mary. Half a century later, between 1394 and 1414, it was enlarged for the united gild (the Trinity Gild) of the Holy Trinity, St Mary the Virgin, St John the Baptist and St Catherine. It was further extensively altered at the end of the fifteenth century.

 

St Marys Hall courtyard, Coventry   

THE COURTYARD

[CLICK PHOTO TO ENLARGE]



St Marys Hall, Coventry - Lady Godiva statue - photograph supplied by Avon Studios  

STATUE OF LADY GODIVA

Standing in the Oriel in the Great Hall, this statue was by WC Marshall around 1854

[CLICK PHOTO TO ENLARGE]



St Marys Hall, Coventry - The Old Council Chamber - photograph by Avon Studios  

THE OLD COUNCIL CHAMBER

Probably the original buttery or pantry for the first St Mary's Hall of 1340-42

[CLICK PHOTO TO ENLARGE]


 

1x22rule.gif (89 bytes)

ADVERTISE YOUR BUSINESS TO 120,000 VISITORS PER MONTH

email chris@cwn.org.uk



Club Line Cruisers



CWN / Heritage / Historical Places / St Mary's Hall, Coventry

1995-2000 Coventry Internet Developments Ltd

This page modified on 10 November 2008 09:49:15AM