SEP 00] HERITAGE OPEN DAYS FACTFILE
Former Porch Will Open For A Quiet Moment
quiet chapel in the ruins of the old Cathedral will be opened up for
Heritage Open Days used to be a busy church entrance in medieval
Bishop Haigh Memorial Chapel is in the 13th century porch to the old
St Michael’s church – which was a quarter of its eventual size
when it became a cathedral.
porch once led into the south nave aisle and is Early English Gothic
the bombing of Coventry Cathedral in 1940, it was switched so it could
be used for worship.
of medieval glass shattered in the raids are still visible, and it was
one of the areas singled out for preservation when the new cathedral
was being designed.
were given a free hand with the future of the ruins, with stipulation
that the tower and two crypts had to remain.
the 1960s the chapel was dedicated to the memory of Mervyn G Haigh,
who was the third Bishop of Coventry following the separation of the
Coventry and Lichfield diocese in 1918.
he left Coventry he was translated to Winchester cathedral. The chapel
is no longer used for services and is not normally open to the public.