Coventry City have reported Aston Villa to the Football Association for an alleged illegal
approach for George Boateng.
The Birmingham Post reported today that Boateng was unsettled at Coventry
and that Villa wanted to buy him for £4 million.
Coventry responded immediately that the only reason Boateng might feel unsettled was
because of Villas backdoor methods. City claim Villa even used former Sky Blues
player Dion Dublin, who left for Villa amid acrimonious scenes in October, to approach
Bryan Richardson, Coventrys chairman, said:
"I have reported Aston Villa to the FA for making an illegal approach. But not
just because of what is in the newspaper today.
"This has been going on since the night of our match at Villa Park two weeks ago.
I know that Villas chairman Doug Ellis had a conversation with Boatengs agent
that very night and George told our manager Gordon Strachan that Dion had been in touch
saying that Villa wanted him to play for them."
And the chairman added:
"George Boateng is not leaving this club. We have ten important matches to the end
of the season and he has two and a half years left on his contract. He is a very valuable
member of our squad."
Gordon Strachan, Coventrys manager said:
"A month ago I had a very happy player, now I have a very confused young man. But
he will play for us against Blackburn Rovers on Saturday."
City signed Boateng from Feyenoord in December 1997 after being impressed by him in a
pre-season friendly at Highfield Road. He cost £250,000 and was then captain of the Dutch