CWN - News & Information for Coventry & Warwickshire 20x21spacer.gif (59 bytes)What's New?Search CWN
Results Round-up

Boston United (1) 2 Nuneaton Borough (0) 3 

Borough reaffirmed their assault on the championship by coming from behind to beat the former Northern Premier League side.

Wayne Simpson grabbed two goals and Malcolm Christie, a target of many league clubs, was again on the mark.

Boro' began as though they would swamp Boston but they found themselves a goal down at half-time through Paul Watts' 29th minute header from Richard Mason's corner kick.

A few stern words at half-time by manager Brendan Phillips soon paid dividends however. Simpson levelled it just four minutes after the restart and Christie put Nuneaton in front with a cross shot which went off the far post.

Boro' could have paid dearly for a miss by Sean Wray when Simon Bailey equalised for Boston with seven minutes to play.

But Simpson had the last word when he pounced two minutes from the end to fire in the rebound when Barry Williams' shot was blocked.

Borough play Grantham Town at the Manor Park Ground on Monday, clear favourites to maintain their 100 per cent record in their fourth match of the season.

bar-blue-400x3.gif (874 bytes)

Atherstone United (0) 0 Cambridge City (0) 1  

Atherstone's jinx continues to haunt them. They have not beaten Cambridge at Sheepy Road for three years and they even missed a penalty in this game.

To make matters worse they now have only one point from their opening three games and on Monday they have a very difficult game away to Worcester City.

United opened brightly and Kim Green and Danny Martin both went close to scoring in the early stages of the match.

The best chance of the first half fell to Cambridge however in the 10th minute. Andy Kiwomya’s effort had 'goal' written all over it but the striker was stunned when Dale Belford sprang to push the ball around the post.

The 'Adders' dismal start to the season was summed up in the second half when they missed a penalty. A Cambridge player handled but former Coventry City youth player Lee Middleton crashed his spot kick against the upright and it was cleared.

The three points slipped away from United with ten minutes to go when Mark Reeder headed home a corner kick.

bar-blue-400x3.gif (874 bytes)

Bedworth United (0) 0   Stourbridge (1) 1  

Bedworth are still hunting their first league point and their first goal of the season.

Manager Billy Hollywood pointed to silly defensive mistakes for the opening defeats and another one settled this match.

Bedworth's goalkeeper was caught off his line when Luke Yates' 30 yard shot flew over him into the net in the 27th minute.

Robbie Beard missed a couple of easy first half chances and then created an opening for Craig Dutton after the break, but United conceded territory and possession to the 'Black Country' visitors.

Bedworth mounted a late rally, but could only muster a couple of tame efforts from Paul Bedder which did not trouble the Stourbridge 'keeper.

United now face a tough trip to play Bilston today with the prospect of a fourth successive defeat staring them in the face.

 bar-blue-400x3.gif (874 bytes)

Stafford Rangers (1) 3   VS Rugby (0) 0  

Only the brilliance of goalkeeper Mark Ullah prevented an even bigger defeat for VS Rugby.

He saved brilliantly from former Hednesford striker Tony Eccleston, but had no chance in the 19th minute when Gary Piggott's shot flew into the top corner.

But the goalkeeper earned applause with two excellent one handed stops to keep out shots from Jason Smith and Craig Love.

Meanwhile at the other end of the pitch nothing would go right for Rugby.

Ashley Warner had four great opportunities which either missed the target or were saved by Rangers' goalkeeper Paul Hayward. Two clever lobs beat the 'keeper but went over the crossbar and Hayward made two great saves from other efforts.

Rangers were the better side however and settled the game with goals by Eccleston in the last five minutes.

VS now meet Hinckley United at home today and are still seeking their first win of the new season.

bar-blue-400x3.gif (874 bytes)

Sutton Town (1) 1  Racing Club Warwick (0) 0

Racing Warwick are another local club with deep troubles in the new season.

This score was unrepresentative of the proceedings. Richard Anstiss, in Racing's goal, was their busiest player as shots were rained in on him.

In a one sided match he denied Darren Horne and Stuart Holt, before Sutton went in front after 35 minutes.

He conceded a corner when he dived to push Richard Lavery's shot around the post. But the resulting flag-kick was cleared only as far as Robin Judd who lashed in his first goal in Sutton's colours.

Warwick created a number of chances in the second half but lacked finishing power. Sutton though were unlucky not to increase their margin when Judd's header beat Anstiss but struck the crossbar.

Warwick now face Stamford at home on Monday.

1x22rule.gif (89 bytes)



West Orchards Shopping Centre, Coventry

Club Line Cruisers

Windmill Village Hotel

CWN / Sport / Football / News / 29 Aug 98 - Non-league Results

1995-2000 Coventry Internet Developments Ltd

This page modified on 10 November 2008 09:49:15AM