Robert's family has been involved with the local market for
almost a hundred years.
His great grandmother on his mother's side began it all when
she moved with her new husband to Coventry to start a fresh life. They set
up a shop in Butchers Row selling antiques and second hand
goods. They lived in Silver Street in the city centre.
Butchers Row has long since disappeared but Silver Street
still exists off the Burges.
The move from shop to market began in around 1911 when
Rupert's maternal grandfather, a former bare fist prizefighter,
established William Southall's Fishmongers in the Smithfield
Market opposite the old Hippodrome Market.
William's wife Alice Southall was a school teacher at the
Ragged School. She bought up a large family and ran the farm at
Brownshill Green which the couple had bought after they got
After the Smithfield Market was closed for redevelopment the
family fish stall was moved to the new market hall in the West