- OUR COUNTY 1998-2001
Priority : Transport
provide a fairer transport system
Our lives are shaped by transport. Transport has enriched
our lives but at a cost which keeps going up. Road traffic has increased dramatically with
profound consequences for the environment and the way we live. We want a transport system
that meets the needs of people and business and produces better places in which to live
- We will review our transport strategy and publish a
provisional, interim local transport plan for the County by July 1999 and a full, final
and integrated local transport plan by July 2000.
- We will consult widely in reviewing our transport strategy
and in preparing our local transport plan with local people, businesses, transport
operators and community groups using consensus building techniques.
- We will build and extend partnerships with other local
authorities, with transport operators and freight companies to improve the provision and
operation of transport services for Warwickshire.
- We will encourage greater use of public transport, and will
seek to improve access to these services.
- We will include draft road traffic reduction targets in the
local transport plan published in July 1999 and firm traffic reduction targets in the
local transport plan published in July 2000.
- We will ensure that, by 2000, each rural community with more
than 500 residents has at least one offpeak public transport service Monday -
Saturday, to and from the nearest town.
- We will take steps to cut the number of casualties from
serious road accidents, in every year up to 2001.
- We will set targets for improving the safety of people as
they travel that reflect the new national targets when they are published by Government
(new national targets are expected to be published in early 1999).
FOR OUR COUNTY
PRIORITY: REDUCE CRIME
PRIORITY: OLDER PEOPLE
If you have any comments on this plan or
would like to know more then please contact:
PO Box 9
Warwickshire County Council
Warwick CV34 4RR
Tel: 01926 412514
Fax: 01926 412479